After it is determined that the child is eligible for special education services under IDEA, a multidisciplinary team of specialists and the parents review the child's levels of functioning and develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) specifically designed to meet the child's educational needs in the least restrictive environment. The IEP team determines the appropriate placement, develops the education goals for the student, and discusses the student's progress.
The Virginia Department of Education provides a variety of supports to administrators, teachers and parents of children with disabilities.
- Evaluation and Eligibility For Special Education and Related Services: Guidance Document (Word)
- Guidance on Evaluation and Eligibility for the Special Education Process – Appendix A (Sample Evaluation and Eligibility Forms) (Word)
- Extended School Year Services (PDF)
Part I of this document summarizes various case law decisions and reviews applicable federal law and regulations. Part II recommends instructional practices to guide Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams in determining the individual student's need for ESY services.
- Medicaid and Schools – School divisions can submit reimbursement claims to Medicaid for some services provided to students.
- VDOE Training and Technical Assistance Centers (T/TAC)
- Your Family's Special Education Rights – Virginia Procedural Safeguards Notice (PDF)
- Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia (PDF)
- The document Procedures for Participation of Students with Disabilities in Virginia's Accountability System has been updated and reorganized into two documents as follows:
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Assessment Participation (PDF) – Provides the state assessment options available to students with disabilities, the participation criteria, and information about the roles and responsibilities of Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams and 504 committees in making assessment determinations.
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Special Test Accommodations (PDF) – Provides information on a four-step process for selecting and using test accommodations and a description of test accommodations currently permitted on state assessments.
- Transition Services
- Framework for Instruction in American Sign Language in Virginia's Public Schools (PDF)
- Alliance for Systems Change/Mid-South Regional Resource Center (ASC/MSRRC)
- Access Center: Improving Outcomes for All Students K-8
- Virginia Board for People with Disabilities
- Virginia Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation & Substance Abuse Services
- Department of Rehabilitative Services
- Section 504 Resources