Instructional Videos for Teachers
These instructional videos are provided as support for the implementation of the Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL).
The recommended browser to view these videos is Internet Explorer. Download the free Adobe Flash Player plug-in player for Internet Explorer. Adobe Flash Player must be enabled to play videos using Chrome. For help, go to Adobe Support: Enabling Flash Player for Chrome.
- Play Video Vocabulary (grades 6-8)
Dr. Lois Williams shares a technique to assist students who confuse common mathematics terms such as radius and diameter.
- Play Video Multi-Step Problem Solving (grades 4-8)
Cheryl Gray on how to approach multi-step problems with data presented in a table. Handout available: Multi-Step Problem Solving (PPT)
- Play Video Developing Early Number Sense (grades K-2)
Laura Domalik provides instructional strategies for counting and vocabulary. The strategies include counting on, counting back, one more than (+1), one less than (-1), basic fact concepts of +1 and -1, and missing addends.
- Play Video Using a Beaded Number Line (grades K-2)
Laura Scearce provides instructional strategies for using beaded number lines to develop the students’ skills in counting, counting backwards, rounding, adding, and subtracting.
- Play Video Modeling Equality (grades K-2)
Debi Godfrey provides activities with pan and number balances to represent and build the concept of equality in kindergarten.
- Play Video Comparing and Ordering Fractions (grades 2-3)
Laura Scearce models the use of an instructional card game to reinforce the concept of comparing fractions.
- Play Video Models for Teaching Fractions (grades 3-8)
Alfreda Jernigan highlights three key concepts that should be addressed when providing instruction on fractions.
- Play Video Strategies for Learning Basic Facts (grades K-3)
Laura Domalik discusses the instructional strategy of doubles for developing basic facts concepts (1+1, 2+2,...10+10) that are found in the real word using the game "Doubles Cover Up."
- Play Video Array Model for Multiplication (grades 3-8)
Jennifer Jones connects the use of the array model for multiplication of whole numbers to multiplication of mixed numbers and then to multiplication of binomials in algebra.
- Play Video Area Model for Multiplying Fractions (grades 6-8)
Alfreda Jernigan illustrates the use of the area model for multiplying fractions.
- Play Video Models for Dividing Fractions (grades 6-8)
Alfreda Jernigan introduces the concept of dividing whole and rational numbers by raising questions that tap into prior knowledge. Instructional strategies for incorporating area models through fraction strips and fraction circles are included.
- Play Video Converting Units (grades 3-8)
Dena McElligott shares a problem-solving strategy for converting units.
Handout available: Converting Units (Word)
- Play Video Volume and Surface Area (grades 6-8)
Karen Cribbs demonstrates a hands-on introduction to volume and surface area.
- Play Video Liquid Measure (grades 4-8)
Dena McElligott demonstrates a manipulative that helps students see the relationships among the customary units of liquid measure.
- Play Video Units of Measure (grades 4-8)
Karen Cribbs models a visual approach to the concepts of linear, square and cubic units.
Engaging activities and questioning techniques for statistics.
- Play Video Mean as Fair Share (grades 5-6)
Dedra Wright provides models for developing the concept of mean as fair share.
- Play Video Mean as Balance Point (grades 5-6)
Dedra Wright provides models for developing the concept of mean as balance point.
- Instructional support videos for grades 7 and 8 from the Tidewater Team for Mathematics Education at The College of William and Mary