2017 History & Social Science SOL Institutes
The K-12 History and Social Science SOL Institutes provided training that utilized a train-the-trainer model to provide professional development focused on the 2015 History and Social Science Standards of Learning, which will lead to the creation of performance assessments. The institutes used various information sources to provide participants with experiences to change history and social science instruction. In each content session, teachers were provided explicit examples as an opportunity to deepen student understanding of history and social science content.
2017 Institute Materials
(Many of the links below point to websites outside the Virginia Department of Education website.)
- 2017 History and Social Science Standards of Learning Fall Institutes-This is a PPT presentation.
Virginia Department of Education
- Using the Quality Criteria Tool to design and develop History and Social Science Local Alternative Assessments-This is a PPT presentation.
History and Social Science Trainers Presenting on Behalf of the Virginia Department of Education
- Anne Evans, Charlottesville City Public Schools
- Lynne Bland, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Jennifer Brown, Fairfax County Public Schools
- Ellen Stick, Roanoke City Public Schools
Course Content Sessions
- Planning and Preparing Instruction for Local Alternative Assessments
History and Social Science Teacher Trainers, Presenting on Behalf of the Virginia Department of Education:
- Camille Beliveau, Chesapeake City Public Schools
- Jennifer Burgin, Arlington County Public Schools
- Rebecca Burley, Norfolk City Public Schools
- Michelle Cottrell-Williams, Arlington County Public Schools
- Tracey Horvath, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Brandi Ketron-McCracken, Washington County Public Schools
- Melissa Mygas, Newport News City Public Schools
- Maria Newby, Powhatan County Public Schools
- David Wessel, Spotsylvania County Public Schools
- Elementary School Presentation-This is a PPT presentation.
- Middle School Presentation-This is a PPT presentation.
- Article 1 Section 8-This is a Word document.
- Can a President Be Too Strong?-This is a Word document.
- Cost-Benefit Analysis-This is a Word document.
- Executive Order No. 9066-This is a Word document.
- Executive Orders Cartoon-This is a Word document.
- Executive Orders Thinglink DBQ-This is a Word document.
- Presidential Executive Orders-This is a Word document.
- Presidential Executive Orders Table-This is a Word document.
- High School Presentation-This is a PPT presentation.