Applied Studies Diploma
The Applied Studies Diploma is a diploma option available to students identified as having a disability who complete the requirements of their individualized education programs (IEPs) and meet certain requirements prescribed by the Board of Education pursuant to regulations, but do not meet the requirements for any named diploma.
The Applied Studies Curriculum Map (PDF) is a set of skills and competencies that IEP teams can use to identify the need for additional instruction that the student will need to achieve their postsecondary goals. These skills are not standards or required to earn the Applied Studies Diploma, but provide guidance to teams in aligning the student’s transition goals with the goals outlined in the annual IEP. The Applied Studies Curriculum Map provides a guide in which teachers, students, families, and other team members can identify skills that will have a direct impact on the student’s achievement of their post-secondary goals.
- To provide statewide guidance to IEP teams to develop goals and objectives that will:
- provide the student with instruction that directly address deficits leading to their post-secondary goals;
- supplement instruction on state standards (Virginia Standards of Learning or Aligned Standards of Learning); and
- provide a mechanism for linking skills back to state standards.
- increase student participation, self-determination and motivation;
- inform parents/ guardians/ advocates of critical skills; and
- assist with long-term planning beginning as the student enters transition age.
- support opportunities for instruction in real-life scenarios;
- provide resources related to evidence based practices and data-based decision making; and
- increase use of authentic assessment.
Applied Studies Diploma Overview
This module provides an overview and history of the Applied Studies Curriculum Map and outline the purpose behind it.
Applied Studies Diploma Part 2: The Curriculum Map
Part two provides an overview of the curriculum map including the guide and competencies.
Applied Studies Diploma Part 3: Instruction
Part three will address the use of authentic assessment for developing goals as well as an introduction to evidence-based practices and predictors for post-school success.
Applied Studies Diploma Part 4: Planning & Reporting
Part four examines ways that teams can use the curriculum map in planning and developing goals and instruction. Additionally, an overview of the scoring criteria is reviewed.