News & Announcements
Update on the Proposed Revised 2020 Fine Arts Standards of Learning
The public comment period for the proposed revised 2020 Fine Arts Standards of Learning has ended. The next step for adoption of the new standards is approval by the Virginia Board of Education. Because of the cancellation of the March 19, 2020 meeting, this item will move to the agenda for the April meeting. You can review the draft documents and review details of board meeting agendas and schedules at Board of Education Public Meetings.
Knowledge and skills that students acquire through instruction in the fine arts include the abilities to think critically, solve problems creatively, make informed judgments, work cooperatively within groups, appreciate different cultures, imagine and create.
- Dance SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Dance 2006 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- Elements of Dance
- American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD)
- Virginia Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (VAHPERD)
- Music SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Music 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-12 Sample Music Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies and Correlations
- African Heritage in Classical Music – Resources and information on 52 African, African American and Afro European composers, conductors and instrumental performers.
- National Association for Music Education
- Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association
- Virginia Music Educators Association
- Theatre SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- Theatre Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Technical Theatre Guidelines (Word) or (PDF)
- Creative Drama & Theatre Education Resource Site – Classroom ideas, creative drama, theater games, plays for performance and a book list for educators.
- American Alliance for Theatre in Education
- American Association of Community Theatre
- Southeastern Theatre Conference
- Educational Theatre Association/ International Thespian Society
- Virginia Educational Theatre Association/ Virginia Thespians
- Visual Arts SOL Crosswalk, 2006 to 2013 (Word) or (PDF)
- Visual Arts 2013 Core Academic Correlation Chart (Word) or (PDF)
- K-8 Instructional Strategies & Correlations
- Visual Arts Sample Curriculum (Word) or (PDF)
- Safety/Toxic Art (PPT)
- Arts Education Partnership – Information and communication about current and emerging arts education policies, issues, and activities at the national, state and local levels.
- Joy2Learn – Videos and interactive multimedia presentations and performances by artists including Hector Elizondo, Alan Gampel, Gregory Hines, Wynton Marsalis, Elizabeth Murray and Richard Serra, from the Joy2Learn Foundation.
- Virginia Coalition for Fine Arts Education
- Virginia Commission for the Arts