December 4-10 is National Computer Science Education Week – Schools are encouraged to participate in a variety of activities to inspire students to further study computer science. For more information regarding activities and schedules, read Superintendent’s Memo 310-17.
Free Computer Science Professional Learning Opportunities Offered by Oracle Academy – Courses in Java Foundations, Intermediate Java Programming, Database Foundations, and Getting Started with Java Using Greenfoot will be provided. Prior computer programming experiences are not required for participation in any of the courses. Course descriptions, dates, and an interest survey are available on this informational flier-This is a PDF document.. The original deadline of December 8, as marked in the flier for completing the interest survey, has been extended to December 15, 2017.
Computer Science Resources
- Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA)
- Expanding Computer Education Pathways (ECEP) Alliance
- 2016 Virginia Acts of Assembly Item 138, page 117 – Information regarding the funding appropriation related to computer science training and infrastructure
- CSTA [INTERIM] K–12 Computer Science Standards
- K12CS Computer Science
- Breaking the Code on a Career in Cybersecurity Video Series – The Virginia Space Grant Consortium has developed a new, free video series that provide background on the importance of cybersecurity in our computer and data-driven world. Read the April 18, 2017, press release (Word) for more information.
Contact Timothy Ellis, Computer Science and Virtual Learning Specialist, by email or by phone at 804-225-3489 with questions about Computer Science. Questions about the Computer Science Standards of Learning can also be sent to VACSStandards@doe.virginia.gov.