CTE Civil Rights Laws
News & Announcements
The Virginia Department of Education’s (VDOE) Obligation to Review and/or Assist School Divisions Regarding Federal Civil Rights LawsThe guidelines for eliminating discrimination and denial of services on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, and disability, refer to 34 C.F.R. Part 100, Appendix B (Guidelines) is a federal regulation to ensure that each student has equal access to career and technical education (CTE) programs. The Guidelines require the VDOE to monitor school divisions for CTE civil rights compliance through technical assistance, analyses of information and data, and periodic on-site reviews to determine compliance. For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 199-18.
CTE Civil Rights Reviews – monitoring the prohibition of discrimination in Virginia school divisions that have career and technical programs and receive federal financial assistance
The Career and Technical Education Programs Guidelines for Eliminating Discrimination and Denial of Services on the Basis of Race, Color, National Origin, Sex and Disability (34 C.F.R. Part 100, Appendix B) require each state education agency to adopt a compliance program to prevent, identify and remedy discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex or disability by its local education agencies. Under these guidelines and adopted procedures, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is mandated to conduct four on-site compliance reviews annually of school divisions that provide career and technical education programs and receive federal financial assistance. These reviews are conducted to determine whether school divisions are meeting the requirements of the following civil rights laws:
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, and national origin) 34 CFR Part 100
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (prohibiting discrimination based on sex) 34 CFR Part 106
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (prohibiting discrimination based on disability) 34 CFR Part 104
- Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (prohibiting discrimination based on disability) 28 CFR Part 35
As the state education agency responsible for assisting the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in the accomplishment of its mission, VDOE, Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education, selects school divisions based on a target plan pre-approved by the OCR. This plan is designed to identify school divisions with the greatest potential for noncompliance with civil rights laws.
- CTE Civil Rights Review Six-Year Cyclical Schedule-This is a Word document.
- Overview of the CTE Civil Rights Review Process-This is a Word document.
- CTE Civil Rights Review Process Presentation-This is a PPT presentation.
- CTE Civil Rights Review Checklist-This is a Word document.
- Helpful links-This is a Word document.