Every Student Succeeds Act
The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) was signed into law on December 10, 2015. The Board of Education approved its plan to implement ESSA at its July business meeting. The plan will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education in September. For more information, read Virginia’s ESSA State Plan -This is a PDF document. (PDF).
ESSA requires states to provide opportunities for stakeholder input throughout the development of the federal accountability plan. VDOE has designed a series of stakeholder sessions and work group meetings to receive stakeholder feedback on key areas of Virginia’s plan.
Virginia’s State Plan Development Timeline
The following list is hidden to sighted users and is specifically to be used for assistive technologies. In summary, it is the Federal Requirements Timeline
- ESSA Signed into law December 2015
- ESSA@doe.virginia.gov opens for public input March 2016
- Stakeholder feedback July 2016 through August 2017
- Proposed rules released May 2016
- Final regulations released November 2016
- Public review of plan June- July 2017
- Submission of state plan to USDOE September 2017
- Implementation of plan fall 2018
- All ESSA provisions go into effect fall 2018
Overview of ESSA Changes
The panels below provide information on ESSA changes by federal program.
ESSA Communications from the Superintendent of Public Instruction and U.S. Department of Education on several topics related to the transition to ESSA.