Board Meeting Agenda – October 26, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, October 26, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the September 27,2017 - September 28, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
- Recognition of the 2017 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching State Finalists
- Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate November 2017, as Family Engagement in Education Month
- Resolutions of Recognition for Outstanding Environmental Literacy for Albemarle County Public Schools, Fairfax County Public Schools, Centreville Elementary School, and Discovery Elementary School
- Final Review of Financial Report on Literary Fund
- Final Review of Proposed Addition to Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for High School Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools – revised 10/24/2017
- Final Review of the Board of Education’s Model Policy to Address Bullying in Virginia Schools
- Final Review of Appeals for a Rating of Partially Accredited: Reconstituted School for Schools NOT Meeting the Reconstitution Eligibility Rubric Criteria – revised 10/26/2017
- First Review of Proposed Amendments to the Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, Parts I-VIII (8VAC20-131) (Final Stage)
- First Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Approve New Education (Endorsement) Programs at Averett University, the College of William and Mary, Radford University, Regent University, Roanoke College, Virginia State University, Virginia Wesleyan University, and Washington and Lee University (Rockbridge Teacher Education Consortium)
- First Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure’s Recommendation to Approve Education Programs Offered by Virginia Institutions of Higher Education as Required by the Regulations Governing the Review and Approval of Education Programs in Virginia (8 VAC 20-542-10 et seq.)
- First Review of the Board of Education’s Comprehensive Plan: 2017-2023
- First Review of the Board of Education’s 2017 Annual Report on the Condition and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
- Annual Report from the Virginia Council for Private Education – revised 10/24/2017
- Statewide Annual Performance Report for Career and Technical Education and the Virginia Community College System as a Sub-recipient of Perkins Funds from the Department of Education
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, October 25, 2017, in the 25th Floor Conference Room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, October 25, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.