Board Meeting Agenda - September 26, 2013Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 26, 2013
Full Board Convenes – 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the July 25, 2013, Meeting of the Board
- Resolution of Recognition presented to 2013 Outstanding High School Principal of Virginia: Mrs. Gracie Agnew, Principal at Magna Vista High School, Henry County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition presented to 2013 Outstanding Middle School Principal of Virginia: Mr. Steven Parker, Principal at Cedar Lee Middle School, Fauquier County Public Schools
- Resolution of Recognition presented to 2013 Outstanding Secondary School Assistant Principal of the Year: Dr. Paula Johnson, Principal at Bayside Middle School, Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for the 2014 Calendar Year
- First Review of Proposal to Place Franklin City Public Schools Under Division-Level Review Status
- First Review of Memorandum of Understanding for Norfolk City School Board for Lindenwood Elementary School as Required for Schools Denied Accreditation
- First Review of Request for a Continued Rating of Conditionally Accredited from Northampton County School Board for Kiptopeke Elementary School
- First Review of Updated Corrective Action Plan as Required by Petersburg City School Board’s Memorandum of Understanding with the Virginia Board of Education
- First Review of Proposed A-F School Grading Formula Developed in Response to the 2013 Acts of Assembly
- First Review of Revisions to Criteria for the Virginia Index of Performance
- First Review of Notice of Intended Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for Amendments to the Regulations Governing Local School Boards and School Divisions (8 VAC 20-720) Regarding Use of Controversial or Sensitive Instructional Materials
- First Review of Amendments to the Regulations Governing Driver Education (8 VAC 20-340) and the Repeal of Regulations Governing the Approval of Correspondence Courses for Home Instruction (8 VAC 20-60) (Final Stage)
- First Review of Revisions and Updates to the Virginia Board of Education’s Student Conduct Policy Guidelines Consistent with Actions by the 2013 General Assembly
- First Review of Board of Education’s Model Policy to Address Bullying in Virginia’s Schools
- Report of the Adult Education and Literacy Advisory Committee to the Virginia Board of Education on Updates to the 2014 Tests of General Education Development (GED)
- Report on Rebenchmarking of the Direct Aid to Public Education Budget for the 2014-2016 Biennium – updated September 26, 2013
- Report on Virginia’s Foundation Blocks for Early Learning and Resources to Support Early Learning in Virginia
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:00 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Downtown Richmond on Wednesday, September 25, 2013. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the board should contact the Virginia Department of Education at 804-225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the board, the board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Virginia Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.