Board Meeting Agenda - March 22, 2012
Full Board Convenes 9:00 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes of the February 23, 2012, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition Presented to the Virginia Recipient of the 2011 Milken Family Foundation National Educator Award:
- Mr. Neil Beech, Principal, Osbourn Park High School, Prince William County Public Schools
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. You may also download the complete set of agenda items (PDF) compiled in a single document. Note that this file contains all agenda items, reports and supporting materials and may be a very large file. All agenda documents linked are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
- Final Review of Recommended Cut Scores for the Grades 3-8 Mathematics Standards of Learning Tests Based on the 2009 Mathematics Standards
- Final Review of Proposed State Approved Textbooks for K-12 English Language Arts
- First Review of the Consensus Report from the Board of Education Charter School Committee on the Proposed Fairfax Leadership Academy Charter School Application
- First Review of a Proposal to Establish a STEM Academy for Engineering, Marketing, and Information Technology Studies
See related presentation on proposed STEM Academy (PDF)
- Report on Major K-12 Legislation Passed by the 2012 General Assembly
- Report on Longitudinal Data – Increasing Virginia’s Capacity to Understand Students’ Pathways to Success in College and the Workforce
See related presentation on Longitudinal Data (PDF)
DISCUSSION OF CURRENT ISSUES – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING ADJOURNMENT OF BUSINESS SESSION
• Public Hearing for Regulations Governing Unexcused Absences and Truancy (8 VAC 20-730)
The Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6:30 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Wednesday, March 21, 2012. Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public. The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
- The Board of Education is pleased to receive public comment at each of its regular monthly meetings. In order to allow the Board sufficient time for its other business, the total time allotted to public comment will generally be limited to thirty (30) minutes. Individuals seeking to speak to the Board will be allotted three (3) minutes each.
- Those wishing to speak to the Board should contact the Department of Education at (804) 225-2924. Normally, speakers will be scheduled in the order that their requests are received until the entire allotted time slot has been used. Where issues involving a variety of views are presented before the Board, the Board reserves the right to allocate the time available so as to ensure that the Board hears from different points of view on any particular issue.
- Speakers are urged to contact the Department of Education in advance of the meeting. Because of time limitations, those persons who have not previously registered to speak prior to the day of the Board meeting cannot be assured that they will have an opportunity to appear before the Board.
- In order to make the limited time available most effective, speakers are urged to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other material amplifying their views.