Standards of Accreditation
Virginia Board of Education Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia are designed to ensure that an effective educational program is established and maintained in Virginia's public schools. The accreditation standards:
- Provide an essential foundation of educational programs of high quality in all schools for all students.
- Encourage continuous appraisal and improvement of the school program for the purpose of raising student achievement.
- Foster public confidence.
- Assure recognition of Virginia's public schools by other institutions of learning.
- Establish a means of determining the effectiveness of schools.
Standards For Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia
- Current Regulations Establishing the Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (PDF) – These regulations are currently under review by the Board of Education and if approved would become effective in the Fall of 2018
Overview of Changes to the Standards of Accreditation in Recent Years
- Guidance for the Determination of the New Accreditation Rating: “Partially Accredited” (PDF)
- Guidelines for Graduation Requirements: Local Alternative Paths to Standard Units of Credit (Alternatives to the 140- Clock-hour Requirement) – For more information, see Superintendent’s Memo 271-15
- Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia (8 VAC 20-131) (PDF)
Standards of Accreditation Archives