|DATE:||March 2, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
Call for Nominations for Board of Education Advisory Committees: 2018-2021 Term
The Virginia Board of Education is seeking nominees to serve a three-year term on the following advisory committees appointed by the Board:
- Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted (VACEG)
- State Special Education Advisory Committee (SSEAC)
- Adult Education and Literacy Advisory Committee
Please note that for some of the advisory committees, specific categories of expertise or geographic representation are required by state or federal law or regulation. For all committees, the Board of Education seeks to have diverse representation among the appointees.
The current vacancies for the advisory committees are noted below. The term of service will begin July 2018 and end June 2021.
The Virginia Advisory Committee for the Education of the Gifted has four vacancies. Priority consideration will be given to a superintendent from Region 3 and those who serve as resource teachers of the gifted.
The State Special Education Advisory Committee has three vacancies:
- Teacher Representative
- Parent of a Student with a Disability from Region 5
- Parent of a Student with a Disability from Region 7
The Adult Education and Literacy Advisory Committee has three vacancies. Priority consideration will be given to representatives of the following industry sectors:
- Transportation, Distribution and Logistics
- Health Sciences
Geographical regions noted above are based on the Department of Education Superintendent’s Regions.
Educators, administrators, and other individuals, as well as organizations are invited to recommend nominees to fill current vacancies as noted above. Individuals are also welcome to nominate themselves.
The Board of Education’s bylaws prescribe the operation of its advisory committees as follows:
- Article nine, Section 2, of the bylaws states that advisory committees shall be composed of persons who represent the views and interests of the general public and who are known to be qualified to perform their duties. Personnel of the Department of Education may be appointed to the committee, as members or as consultants. Unless otherwise prescribed by state or federal law or regulations, all appointments to an advisory committee shall be made by the Board upon the recommendations of the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- Article fifteen, Section 3, of the bylaws states that members of advisory committee shall not receive compensation for their service, but may be reimbursed for travel expenses in accordance with state travel guidelines set forth by the Department of Accounts.
- Article fifteen, Section 4, of the bylaws states that appointments to an advisory committee shall be for a term of three years. Members of an advisory committee may be re-appointed, with no member serving more than two consecutive three-year terms.
Nominations may be made by completing the attached nomination form. Please send the completed form to Emily Webb, Director for Board Relations, P. O. Box 2120, Richmond, VA 23218-2120. Nominations may also be submitted by email at Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov.
All nominations must be received by Friday, March 23, 2018.
Questions regarding the Board of Education’s advisory committees or activities may be addressed to Emily Webb by email at Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov or by phone at (804) 225-2924.