|DATE:||February 16, 2018|
|FROM:||Steven M. Constantino, Ed.D., Acting Superintendent of Public Instruction|
|SUBJECT:||Performance Assessment Workshop Sponsored by Virginia Association of School Superintendents and the Virginia Department of Education|
To support the implementation of a balanced assessment model across the Commonwealth, the Virginia Association of School Superintendents and the Virginia Department of Education will offer a workshop Wednesday, March 7, 2018, from 8:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the Hampton Roads Embassy Suites and Convention Center, 1700 Coliseum Drive, Hampton, Virginia 23666 focusing on practical protocols and resources for implementing performance assessments in your division. The workshop will present steps for achieving inter-rater reliability in scoring performance assessments and for analyzing student work in Professional Learning Communities. The workshop also will explore the curricular and instructional implications of a shift to using performance assessments to replace identified Standards of Learning tests. The workshop will assist Virginia educators in preparation for the Regional Performance Assessment Workshops offered by the Virginia Department of Education that will be held in May and June of 2018.
More specifically, the workshop will provide a deeper understanding of the development and use of performance assessments in all subject areas by having participants:
- Examine two inter-rater reliability protocols for reliably scoring student work on performance-assessments;
- Apply a process for "anchoring" a scoring rubric with student work samples;
- Review a Professional Learning Community process for examining student work to identify and plan for addressing student learning needs;
- Consider ways of differentiating performance tasks and still obtaining needed evidence of learning;
- Explore a framework for a curriculum and assessment system constructed around performance tasks;
- Identify ways of integrating Virginia's "5 C's" into performance assessments; and
- Examine instructional practices (including use of formative assessments) needed to prepare students for performance assessments.
School divisions may register individuals or may send a team for a group rate. The registration link for the workshop is VASS Professional Development Workshop Information. If you need information regarding registration or have questions, please contact Liza Scallet or Andy Stamp at the Virginia Association of School Superintendents by email at L.firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (434) 249-5156.