April 7, 2017
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: State Funding Allocation for Information Technology Industry Certifications and Related Testing Preparation Resources Update
Amendments to the 2016-2018 biennial budget adopted by the 2017 General Assembly included an appropriation of $1.4 million to support students and teachers pursuing the Virginia Board of Education-approved information technology (IT) industry certifications for fiscal year 2017 (SY 2016-2017).
The Virginia Department of Education negotiated a group purchase for the Microsoft Imagine Academy IT industry certifications for 365 high schools and career and technical centers that elected to participate. All site licenses and products purchased under this negotiation have the same expiration date, December 1, 2017, which allows access to instructional and testing materials throughout the summer and fall.
The group purchase includes the following Microsoft Imagine Academy and Certiport products and services:
- 12-month site license for digital curriculum and instructional resources;
- 12-month site license for unlimited certification testing for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) applications in 2016/2013/2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, OneNote (2010/2013) and SharePoint (2010/2013);
- 12-month MOS 2010/2013/2016 practice test license (delivered on the GMetrix operating platform);
- Workshops on how to access and use the digital curriculum, instructional resources, and new features of the GMetrix operating platform (to be announced under separate cover).
- 50 Microsoft Office 2013/2016 lab licenses for each high school/career and technical education center annually;
- 30 Microsoft professional development exam vouchers (MOS/MTA/MCE) for each high school/career and technical education center annually;
- Access to on-demand professional development training around Microsoft Imagine Academy products and services.
Please note, all expenditures for the MOS examinations listed above are covered under the negotiated contract for participating high schools/centers and should not be included on requests for reimbursements.
If you have any questions, please contact Judith P. Sams, Microsoft Imagine Academy Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (804) 786-4206.